Here’s 5% off on us to finish your order.GET THE DISCOUNT
Everything you want to know about food dehydrators
If you've never owned a Food Dehydrator before, it can be confusing to know how they work and which model is right for you and your kitchen. That's where we can help. We've got the top tips to help you get the most out of your dehydrator as well as healthy recipes that will have you dehydrating your own food like a pro.
- The science around food dehydration
- Top reasons to use a Food Dehydrator
- What food you can make with a Food Dehydrator?
- How you can correctly use your Food Dehydrator
- The exclusive BioChef range of Food Dehydrators
The science around food dehydration
Drying food has been practiced since ancient times, and was the earliest form of food preservation - it prevented lack of food through famines and droughts. Todays technology has made food dehydation simple and effective, with modern dehydrators ensuring the trmperature is kept constant for even and consistent results.
Utilizing a built-in fan, a dehydrator slowly distributes heated air throughout the appliance to remove the moisture from foods. In doing so, it stops the proliferation of microorganisms (bacteria, yeasts and moulds) and prevents food from spoiling. This means these foods can be enjoyed for a long time.
Top reasons to us a Food Dehydrator
There are a huge amount of benefits from dehydrating your own food. Some of these are getting the nutrients you need, reducing waste and saving dollars! Below are the top advantages of using a Food Dehydrator:
- Delicious food with more enzymes and nutrients
- 0 additives and preservatives which means you control what goes into your food
- Reduce food wastage and extend shelf life - for up to 3 years!
- Save money by doing the dehydration yourself
- Less storage space to store dehydrated foods
- Dehydrated foods are light, compact and easily transportable
- Complete control of drying process by using adjustable thermostats
- Flexible & versatile - you can make whatever you want
- Simple to use - program the drying system then set and forget
- Super safe - low risk of any spoilage
The process of dehydration also helps to make it easier to take the recommended 'five servings of fruits and vegetables a day', in the form of practical and tasty snacks.
Dehydrating is a fun, simple and cost-effective way to preserve fresh foods for storage, or to make healthy snacks which you can enjoy anytime you want. For optimum results, it's important to know the imporant tips before using your Food Dehydrator, Watch our how-to video for more info below:
What food can be made with a Food Dehydrator?
The growth in popularity of the raw food movement has introduced us to more nutritious eating habits, as well as healthy foods that delivery on delicious flavour.
From dried vegetable fries to beef jerky. There’s a whole host of delectable foods and recipes a food dehydrator will allow you to create. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Dried fruits such as oranges, grapes, pears, watermelon, apples, cranberries, bananas
- Healthy french fries made from vegetables such as sweet potato, squash, pumpkin, potato (without even needing to use oil)
- Jerky using beef, chicken, turkey, fish and anything else you can think of
- Healthy bread alternatives such as sourdough, hemp seed bread and crispy pizza bases
- Dried fruit roll-ups - simply blend fruit , dehydrate and roll up. Perfect kids‘ lunchbox snack.
- Aromatic herbs and spices, e.g. rosemary, cilantro, thyme
- Crunchy granola with seeds and nuts e.g. almonds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, rolled oats
- Healthy treates for your pets that don't have the added hormones or preservatives
Even children can have fun creating their own dehydrated snacks. Instead of eating french fries or crisps, they can have fun preparing their own healthy dehydrated treats. Check our recipes and enjoy preparing healthy and homemade snacks with your kids.
Best way to use your Food Dehydrator
Modern food dehydrators are super simple to use. The thermostats and adjustable digital timers give you full control and deliver great results.
How to store your dehydrated foods
Once the dehydrating process is complete, allow dried foods to cool to room temperature before packing up. By doing this, you avoid condensation which can impact the flavor.
For best results, you should consider using a vacuum sealer to store your dehydrated foods.
Protect your dehydrated foods from heat, light and moisture by placing them in a dark, cool and dry area.
The BioChef range of Food Dehydrators
We have gone to great lengths to ensure we only offer dehydrators of exceptional quality and genuine value for money. From entry level machines for the beginner right up to commercial products for the dehydrating expert, we've got the right dehydrator to suit your needs.
Size is an important factor when deciding which product is right for you. We provide dehydrators of varying sizes to ensure you find the right one that doesn't take up too much room on your kitchen bench top.
If you're just starting out, we recommend starting with the BioChef Arizona Food Dehydrator with 6 trays. If you're already somewhat confident with dehydrtaing and want to upgrade, or you're interested in making larger batches, we'd advise you go with a larger dehydrator like the BioChef Kalahari Food Dehydrator with 10 trays.
For commercial use, we'd recommend the BioChef Kalahari Professional Food Dehydrator which offers 16 trays.
Our food dehydrators have been recognized as some of the most reliable dehydrators on the market, so it's not surprising that health conscious foodies choose a Biochef Dehydrator.